Our network

Houston Co. Hound Becomes Hero | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Houston Co. Hound Becomes Hero
News

They say the dog is man's best friend.

At least that's the case for one family in Warner Robins.

A fire erupted in the attic of the Danielson home early Wednesday morning. The family of 6 was asleep until Brownie, their bulldog-Labrador-mix dog, alerted them to the smell of smoke.

Angela Danielson says if it wasn't for Brownie, the family may not have made it out of the house safely.

"She was howling and clawing at the door, which was unusual for her," Danielson said. "Me and and my second oldest son Mike woke up and smelled the smoke."

Smoke detectors are installed in the house but not in the attic. 

The smoke didn't reach the detectors until after the family had safely evacuated. Houston County fire officials say that's because the smoke was rising instead of going down into the home.

The fire made its way down into the attic, but it was contained in the left side of the home.

Fire officials were able to get the flames under control in under 10 minutes.

Houston County Chief Fire Investigator Bill Smith tells 13WMAZ that installing heat detectors may help prevent future incidents like this.

"A heat detector goes off at a pre-determined temperature," Smith says, instead of smoke alerting a detector on contact.

Smith also reminds families to have an evacuation plan in place and a pre-arranged meeting point, in case of an emergency. 

Follow 13WMAZ's Anita Oh on Twitter @anita_oh.

News

Warner Robins Deals

Warner Robins Businesses