13 Ways to Get Down This Weekend | News
This weekend can be full of culture, love and pride in your community. Check out what's going on:
1. Preparing for a little one? Join in on Baby Care Boot Camp to learn basics about caring for your baby. That's Saturday at 1 p.m. and costs $5 to attend. See full details. Class is at 233 N. Houston Road in Warner Robins.
2. Saturday in Taylor County, you can "Race for Literacy" during a 5K run at Reynolds Ball Park. Starts at 8 p.m.
3. Friday night, you may want to head over to East Dublin for the first Catfish Tournament on Lake Oconee! Sponsored by the Lion's Club, starts at 6 p.m. See details on how to participate.
4. The Macon Symphony Orchestra sends off its conductor, Ward Stare in a finale concert Saturday with Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 and Dvorak's No. 8. Concert starts at 7:30 p.m. Click for tickets and details.
5. Head to the Autism Awareness Festival & 5K event in Forsyth Saturday, from 8 a.m. until 2 p.m. See details.
6. Friday night in Cochran, the 10th Annual Bible Reading Marathon starts at 7 p.m. From April 25-May 2, the entire Bible will be read aloud on the steps of the Bleckley County Courthouse.
7. Rock out with Colby Dee at Cox Capitol Theatre in Downtown Macon Friday. Show starts at 7 p.m., tickets are $10.
8. This weekend is your last chance to participate in the Decorators' Showhouse Tours featuring decorators from the southeast! Presented by Historic Macon Foundation, tours are open starting at 10 a.m. both Friday and Saturday. Tickets are $18 in advance.
9. See a movie!
--"The Big Wedding," stars Robert De Niro, Katherine Heigl, Diane Keaton and Amanda Seyfried. A divorced couple fakes marriage for their adopted son's wedding.
--"Mud" stars Matthew McConaughey, Tye Sheridan, Jacob Lofland and Sam Shepard. Two teens make a pact with a fugitive they meet to help him evade bounty hunters and ultimately reunite him with his true love.
--"Arthur Newman" stars Emily Blunt, Colin Firth, Anne Heche, Sterling Beaumon: a man fakes his own death and ends up moving in with a woman. They're both trying to leave their pasts behind.
Other movies out this weekend:
--At Any Price
--The Reluctant Fundamentalist
10. Or, go see "42," the movie about Jackie Robinson's life that also has scenes that were filmed in Macon!
11. Try making homemade paint with the kids! It's a craft project that keeps on giving. Here's the recipe, courtesy of the All Things Simple blog: 1 cup cornstarch, 1 cup water, food coloring. Mix cornstarch and water, add food coloring and mix. (Hint: Mix these in a muffin tin!)
12. Check out "Wheels in the Valley," a car and motorcycle show in Fort Valley from 8-3:30 p.m. Saturday in the Wildcat Stadium at FVSU. Proceeds benefit the Boys and Girls Club of Georgia Heartlands and the FVSU scholarship fund.
13. Take some pride in the community and help clean up downtown Macon! Cleanup is from 9 a.m. until noon. Meet at Cherry St. Plaza in front of the Sports Hall of Fame. The cleaning priority will be trash pickup, graffiti removal and weeding.
Have an event you think we could feature in 13 Things?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "13 Things!"