Cold-War Era Missiles Get New Paint at Museum of Aviation | Arts & Culture
Warner Robins GA -- The missiles guarding the front lawn of the Museum of Aviation are receiving a new paint job. The two missiles, a Matador and a Mace, were developed after World War II as “pilotless bombers” and sent overseas to West Germany, Korea and Taiwan. The Warner Robins Air Logistics Center at Robins Air Force Base had worldwide logistics management responsibility for the missiles throughout their service life.
The Matador was the first tactical guided missile in the U.S. Air Force inventory from 1949 to 1959, followed by the more advanced MACE which remained in service until the early 1970s. Both missiles were launched with a solid-fuel rocket booster which dropped away after launch. A jet engine and an inertial guidance system then took over to send the missile on to its target. Some of the early A-model MACE missiles were used as target drones, since their size and performance resembled that of manned aircraft. The MACE had a range of 1,400 miles and a speed of 650 miles per hour.